Logic Pro 8.0.1 released!

... check your apple menu > Software Update for your Logic 8.0.1 update:

This Logic Pro 8.0.1 update addresses specific customer issues and compatibility issues of Logic Pro 8.0 and WaveBurner 1.5.

This update is recommended for all Logic Studio users. For more information about this release, please go to: Late Breaking News

If you are using Logic Node you will need to update your Logic Node application on connected computers as well. After running this updater you will find an updated Logic Node installer called Logic Node 8.0.1.dmg in your Utilities folder.

• New KC: Hide/Show Transport

• Copy/Paste Audio Configuration (Mixer local menu: Options)

• Different colors for new Giant SMPTE and Bar displays

• Improved handling of open take folders (flattening, recording into)

• Remote support in Leopard

• Glue Tool works in Piano Roll

Read the Late Breaking News for more details on 8.0.1.

Logic Pro 8.0.1 is a maintenance release that addresses isolated reliability and stability

issues, along with minor corrections to the following areas of the application:

• Right mouse button preferences

• Audio configuration

• Giant Bar and Giant SMPTE Display windows

• SMPTE view offset

• Marker text input

• Beat mapping

• Project management

• Channel strip Level fader display

• Key commands

Edited by David Nahmani

I'm on PC for downloading updates.

So there's no way to get the update if your mac isn't

connected to the net? That severely sucks...

"Software Update" is the most reliable way to get the latest stuff ASAP. Usually Apple releases the updates as downloads, but that might take a bit longer.

The link in the Software Updates window is to a PDF called 'Late Breaking News About Logic 8,' but it appears that it's not for 8.0.1 specifically, but just stuff that didn't make it in the manual for 8. Can anyone confirm this, or am I missing something? Edited by Zuelito

The Sidebar on the Apple Download page lists the following:

Logic Pro 8.0.1 addresses specific customer issues and improves Leopard compatibility of Logic Pro 8.0. It includes Waveburner 1.5.1 and Impulse Response Utility 1.0.1. This update is recommended for all Logic Studio users.

So I'm hoping MY specific customer issues were addressed. :D

the video smpte offset will now follow the master smpte settings in the sync prefs but will not follow the "enable separate smpte offset view offset". Oh well some is better than none.

The video global track still only lets you slide video by 1/4 note regardless of snap settings. I still don't understand this one!

Hi.It seems if you were using the "open trash" as a way of hiding the transport bar.That is now gone. Also the screenset that you may have saved will not be affected by the new KC that you choose to toggle the transport bar in 8.01..Glad the new KC ofr the transport is avaiable also.I really like the whole screen being the arrange window..I'm excited to hear about what goodies there are yet to be discovered...Hope there is some documentation soon also..JON

I've had some interesting experiences so far:

I downloaded the update via Software Update which also wanted to download the latest security update - which I let it do. Install was fine.

Upon starting up 8.01 for the first time, it had some troubles with midi sync and my Mbox 2. I started it again, this time taking the Mbox 2 out of the USB hub I have hanging off the right side USB port (on my laptop) and plugging it directly into the right USB port of my MacBook Pro 2.4 with 2Gb's RAM. No problems.

I then went to rescan my AU's noticing that none of the Waves Vocal bundle had shown up. Interesting to note also that the online manual states that after any update to Logic the AU's will be rescanned. This didn't happen so I looked in prefs for a way to rescan all of the AU's like I was able to in Logic 7. There isn't a way to do this, is there?

After floundering around for 5 minutes trying to work out a way to rescan my AU's and searching through the PDF manual to no avail, I resolved to keep exploring this new version. It had locked up and now the prefs menu was greyed out and I couldn't start or shut Logic down. So I force closed it. Not a great experience so far...

I did notice, however, that after starting up the last track I was working on, that the CPU workload seems to have been sorted; where the v8 CPU's seemed to be bias to just one hardworking CPU the update now shares the load pretty evenly between the two on my rig.

So, back the AU/Logic initialization thang; is there a way to get Logic to go through it's initial set-up stage again, like we were able to in 7?

Good luck everyone. :)

Just spotted an always reproducible way to crash 8.01:

1. Close all the projects

2. Preferences -> Global -> Change value in Cycle Pre-Processing -> CRASH!

Was this a known bug in 8.0 too?

:shock:

No crash here. Try Logic Pro > Preferences > Initialize All Except Key Commands.

It crashes for me too...

Not that it really matters for me but it definitely crashes.

David! Did you close all projects?

I'm testing this on my MacBook 3 GB Ram, Os X 10.5.1

Just spotted an always reproducible way to crash 8.01:

1. Close all the projects

2. Preferences -> Global -> Change value in Cycle Pre-Processing -> CRASH!

Was this a known bug in 8.0 too?

:shock:

No crash here. Try Logic Pro > Preferences > Initialize All Except Key Commands.

It crashes for me too...

Not that it really matters for me but it definitely crashes.

David! Did you close all projects?

I'm testing this on my MacBook 3 GB Ram, Os X 10.5.1

Yeah. I've tried 'Initialize All Except Key' but it didn't fix it.

I got the crash on my 2 macs, and guess what... same spooky bug in Logic Pro 7.2.3! :?

The only workaround I know of is by having a project open when doing this procedure.

Burger...

For the LIFE of me I don't rememer where I read it, but you should always run any USB Audio Interface off the LEFT port of a MacBook Pro. Something about voltages..

and, you should NEVER run an audio interface thru a hub...Only directly into a USB/FW port.

Digi talk about it here:

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=3&langid=100&categoryid=35&itemid=24151

Compatibility Alert

Use of Mbox 2, Mbox 2 Mini, Original Mbox, or Other USB Audio Devices on the Right-Hand USB Port Is Not Recommended

* The 15" MacBook Pro models have 1 USB port on the left side, and one USB port on the right side.

* The 17" MacBook Pro models have 2 USB ports on the left side, and one USB port on the right side.

* Due to internal USB architecture issues on the MacBook Pro, use of Digidesign, M-Audio, or third-party USB audio devices is supported on the left-hand USB ports only (the port or ports next to the power adapter cable).

* Use of such devices on the right-hand USB port is not advised because it may cause audio interrupts and/or dropped samples.

* However, the use of an iLok on the right-hand port has been qualified and is fully supported.

Burger...

For the LIFE of me I don't rememer where I read it, but you should always run any USB Audio Interface off the LEFT port of a MacBook Pro. Something about voltages..

and, you should NEVER run an audio interface thru a hub...Only directly into a USB/FW port.

Thanks dk,

You're quite right, that info is on Digi's support pages. It makes sense as the Mbox2 only uses USB1.1.

I think there are more serious issues afoot though...