Play from playhead position (with cycle on)

David Nahmani

Sometimes the easiest tips are the best ones. This one is really easy but can change your life. Well at least that part of your life you spend working in Logic. :wink:

In Logic you can use certain features (cycle mode, marquee selection) to force playback to start at a certain position. Very useful to focus on a particular section of the song as you're fine tuning it.

That's all fine and dandy, but what if you stop playback in the middle of a cycle (or marquee selection), and then want to resume playback from where the playhead is, and not the beginning of the cycle?

UPDATE: In Logic 9, you can click-hold the play button in the Transport bar, and deselect "Play Cycle".

The answer: you have to hit pause, then play. In default key commands, that translates to:

. - Enter (period-Enter)

Try it with the thumb (for period) and index (for Enter) on the numeric keypad! Before you know it, it will feel like a single keystroke. Just make sure you hit the period first. It's ok to keep holding the period as you hit Enter, although not necessary.

An alternative (thank you Eric Bradley) is to simply press pause twice:

. - . (period - period)

Edited by David Nahmani

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

just saying other way to start playing from any point, when the cycle is on. You can use it at your convenience or not :D

some time double pause is more convenient, some times not XD, any way, i dont see a double click to be a complicated way to achive this. It's just a diferent way, with the adventage that you start plaing from the point you double clicked.

cheers.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
got a cheap MS "multimedia" wireless keyboard, it has a few extra buttons, so I use their software (very good btw) to assign the transport controls on it as logic's, well, transport. it's very cheap and very flexible and so FWD, Rewind are used to move one bar an each direction, +,- volume I use for browsing plugin presets etc etc. (ok, you got me, I use a hackintosh and so this is my PC keyboard, but it really works great in the mac world, except instead of a neat "apple" (or cloverleaf) key I have a funny "Windows" symbol he he, it works great as an apple button.)

• 5 months later...
Although this is very helpful, I submitted feedback to the Logic team so they would change the space bar command from play/stop to play/pause. Some good advice imo, because you already have the return key for stop, so the fact that the space bar is also stop is kind of redundant, and it will be solving this problem a little better, do you guys agree?

Although this is very helpful, I submitted feedback to the Logic team so they would change the space bar command from play/stop to play/pause. Some good advice imo, because you already have the return key for stop, so the fact that the space bar is also stop is kind of redundant, and it will be solving this problem a little better, do you guys agree?

No: I like the spacebar to always start at the top of of a Marquee selection, a one pixel Marquee selection, or a Cycle. It's very, very rare when I need to use Pause.

• 4 weeks later...

and in Logic 9.0.2 and 9.1 you can now tell Logic to 'always' ignore the Cycle selection and playback from wherever the playhead is positioned.

Click hold on the Play button in the Transport and untick 'Play Cycle'. Now Logic will resume playback wherever the playhead is even if Cycle mode is turned on.

Similar functionality in the same menu for Marquee Selection, Selected Region and Play from Last Locate position. Very cool!

• 1 month later...

Hello David,

Yes & No.

No. I mean on a MacBookPro the key enter is the key return or vice versa.

Yes. In this point of view if you press Option - Return(Enter), the playing project is paused.

So; sorry if I caused any confusion.

Peace.