How to setup Logic with Reason

Joel Kanning

1. Create a new layer in the Environment. I always call it "Reason".

2. Create a new Rewire Object (New > Internal > Rewire), and rename it to the device you are rewiring from Reason (you don't have to, it just makes it easier to identify).

3. With your new Rewire Object selected, in the parameters panel under "Rewire" be sure you have these settings: Type: Rewire; Device: Reason; Bus: 6; Channel: **Select your Reason device here** (this is assuming you already have a device created in Reason)

4. Create a new Audio Object (New > Audio Object), and double-click it to expand it to a full channel strip

5. Rename your new Audio Object to the name of the Reason device you want to monitor. At this point you should make sure that your device in Reason is connected to an audio output channel in the hardware interface.

6. Select your newly renamed Audio Object, and in the parameters panel set your Channel to the corresponding audio output channel from Reason (Channel: > Rewire > RW:Mix L - for example)

7. Finally, drag the Rewire Object you created onto your Arrange window. This is the track you will use to record MIDI for this Reason device. Your Audio Object will show up as a channel strip in the Track Mixer if you have the Global button enabled.

Just repeat steps 2 through 7 to add more Reason channels. Incidentally, you can automate any parameters of the Reason devices/synths through Logic as long as you know what MIDI control number the control(s) you want to automate are receiving on (this can be found in Reason's documentation - MIDI Implementation Charts.pdf)

Hope this helps...

• 3 months later...

I've created a guide (with screencaps) to help beginners setup Reason/Live in Logic 7.1. I've tried to make it as lucid and detailed as possible. If something is unclear, or there are typos/errors, please send me an email.

http://thelocalhost.googlepages.com/

Method 1 uses a Multi Instrument in the Envoirnment and might be useful for beginners to understand how a multi instrument in enviornment works.

Method 2 is the more 'conventional' way of setting up Reason/Live. (generally you'll want to use this method)

There is also a Tips/Hints page that maybe useful.

good luck.

Hopefully David will never have to answer another Rewire question :D

(btw, outstanding site)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi thnx for the tut i finally got it workin. but theres 1 problem. i did this

6. Select your newly renamed Audio Object, and in the parameters panel set your Channel to the corresponding audio output channel from Reason (Channel: > Rewire > RW:Mix L - for example

i selected RW:Mix L. but now i only hear the left output of my reason mixer. how do get it stereo ? i seen a video where someone selects RW Stereo Output but i dont have that option.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've got reason to *play* through logic - but I can't record it? I have a sequence that I made in reason, and now I want to make it a track in a logic song.

I've got my Rewire Mix L and R tracks, and they are getting signal, but when I hit record - nothing.

Any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...
So I've got reason to *play* through logic - but I can't record it? I have a sequence that I made in reason, and now I want to make it a track in a logic song.

I've got my Rewire Mix L and R tracks, and they are getting signal, but when I hit record - nothing.

Any ideas?

I am having this same issue using Ableton Live. I want to be able to screw with audio loops in Ableton and have it come into Logic as audio. Is there a step by step process for this? I set up the environment like described above and Logic triggers Live and I get signal like Lanervoza...but when I hit record...nothing.

Help!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Awesome man I've been looking for this guide for ages!

One question: why is it bus 6? The mystical bus 6? Why no bus 5?

Just wondered!

Thanks again for this!

Internal Rewire object bus 'structure' for Reason.

Bus1: addresses the currently selected device in Reason (i.e., the little keyboard icon in Reason's sequencer is not greyed out)

Bus2-5: Uses Reason midi Bus A-D

Bus6 (and up): starting at the first device and goes till the 16th device in Reason's Rack. So in your Reason rack Bus6 can access device # (1-16), Bus7 can access device # (17-32), etc...

Bus6 is sometimes the most useful, but realize that you can run out of devices and then you need to go to Bus7 to access more devices in your Reason rack.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I promise I have looked for this information!

I have gone through the process recommended here but to no avail as when I go to select reason as a device - no reason listed.

any ideas? i have v3.0.5 reason and logic pro 7.2 and am running them on an intel mac.

any help hugely appreciated!!!!

• 2 months later...
1. Create a new layer in the Environment. I always call it "Reason".

2. Create a new Rewire Object (New > Internal > Rewire), and rename it to the device you are rewiring from Reason (you don't have to, it just makes it easier to identify).

3. With your new Rewire Object selected, in the parameters panel under "Rewire" be sure you have these settings: Type: Rewire; Device: Reason; Bus: 6; Channel: **Select your Reason device here** (this is assuming you already have a device created in Reason)

4. Create a new Audio Object (New > Audio Object), and double-click it to expand it to a full channel strip

5. Rename your new Audio Object to the name of the Reason device you want to monitor. At this point you should make sure that your device in Reason is connected to an audio output channel in the hardware interface.

6. Select your newly renamed Audio Object, and in the parameters panel set your Channel to the corresponding audio output channel from Reason (Channel: > Rewire > RW:Mix L - for example)

7. Finally, drag the Rewire Object you created onto your Arrange window. This is the track you will use to record MIDI for this Reason device. Your Audio Object will show up as a channel strip in the Track Mixer if you have the Global button enabled.

Just repeat steps 2 through 7 to add more Reason channels. Incidentally, you can automate any parameters of the Reason devices/synths through Logic as long as you know what MIDI control number the control(s) you want to automate are receiving on (this can be found in Reason's documentation - MIDI Implementation Charts.pdf)

Hope this helps...

I was under the impression that this technique would allow me to sequence in Logic, but it's not working. I still have to sequence in Reason. I watched the links to the youtube videos and same thing.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having similar issues to those mentioned above in the thread and I don't see answers posted anywhere. Can someone point me in the right direction for the following issues?

1. How do I record Reason tracks that are appearing in Logic through rewire. There is a way to record these as audio tracks, right?

2. Why does looping logic create a timing issue where Reason's rewire loop does not match up with Logic's? Reason loops the song on it's own without a problem, Logic does as well, but together, they hiccup.

Thanks for your help. I'm very excited to have found a community of power users.

-Will

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This shouldn't have to be so complicated.

I, too, am following your tutorial on youtube(great idea!) but when I go to channel in the environment window I don't see reason . I can't tell you how much time I have spent trying to understand this. I used Sonar for many years and this kind of operation was so easy. I am hoping that once I figure these things out, I will be glad I made the switch.....

Thanks.[/i]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...