should be called logic pro 7.5

LAMusicguy

i've spent 16 hours with this software and the manuals now and:

1) there's no real new features to speak of, just some tweaks to make logic 7 what it should have been anyway (like recording from buses)

2) the rest is just an interface redo that's nothing you can't already do with screensets in 7

don't waste your money. imho.

1) there's no real new features to speak of, just some tweaks to make logic 7 what it should have been anyway (like recording from buses)

2) the rest is just an interface redo that's nothing you can't already do with screensets in 7

I must say, that pretty well sums it up. Well said.

---

And I'll look forward to reading your thoughts, Otto.

I don't think you've provided enough substantive information.

A new UI "is" a feature

Recording from buses "is" a feature if it wasn't available before regardless of what other apps have this feature.

Ehancements to the plugins "is" a feature.

rather than waste time trying to tell people to save their money (as a noob even) perhaps a more constructive post would elucidate your point a bit better.

This is all pretty true, but at least they started fixing some of the more glaring omissions and have made at least a couple steps towards making the audio editing better. Still, I'm waaaaaay shocked that they didn't at least try to make a Beat Detective like feature - why rip off the Tab To Transients thing, go to the trouble of making the handling of multiple takes on multiple tracks better, and build in that sort of auto-comping feature and not do a version of Beat Detective. DP has a variation, Sonar has a version and the original has been around for ages. I am glad for being able to route audio tracks to audio tracks and instruments to audio tracks and there are some cool looking new things in there, but yeah - it's pretty underwhelming from reading the documentation at least.

(As i said it's only my 1st impression ... it's earlier to lose one's balance ...)

On the other and i'd like to add:

- It was necessary the new "re-style" : They do it

- It was main some feature needed to become more "direct & easy" : They do it

- It was important a rebate of the price ... Now it's cost half : They do it

- It was needed more attenction with video feature .. They give you SoundTrack 2 (bundle) and compressor, as well

- The new "mainstage" could be interesting (depend on compatibilty surface)

- They create a suite as an production kit. It's good in case you don't have Final Cut studio.

- I like the "8" extension because my name is "otto (8)". No kidding :)

See you soon with "hands-on" feedback :)

OTTO

A new UI "is" a feature

rather than waste time trying to tell people to save their money (as a noob even) perhaps a more constructive post would elucidate your point a bit better.

"A new UI "is" a feature"

wrong. if i paint my speedometer gray and put it on the right side of my car, it's still a speedometer.

i don't need to 'elucidate' for your enjoyment. read the darn manual yourself. i've read the manual and worked with the software and come to my conclusions. which i've posted. now you read the manual, buy the software and use it. then if you can prove me wrong, hey, have at it.

wrong. if i paint my speedometer gray and put it on the right side of my car, it's still a speedometer.

i don't need to 'elucidate' for your enjoyment. read the darn manual yourself. i've read the manual and worked with the software and come to my conclusions. which i've posted. now you read the manual, buy the software and use it. then if you can prove me wrong, hey, have at it.

Fair enough.

Fair enough.

hey, and if you can tell me how to get the darn transients thing to work, i'll take you out for beers on the santa monica pier!

Fair enough.

hey, and if you can tell me how to get the darn transients thing to work, i'll take you out for beers on the santa monica pier!

I'll buy the nachos!

I am seriously thinking about making a change from Sonar6 Producer Series on a windows Music XPC, and have been playing around with an iMAC24, with Logic Express, and am thinking about Logic 8.

The early feedback on Logic8 does not look steller, or perhaps I have just read negative reviews.

I have a complex home based studio with softsynths from spectrasonics (stylus rmx, trilogy, atmosphere), Applied Acoustics lounge lizzard, modelling collection etc.., korg digital legacy collection, steinberg virtual guitarist, bassist, groove agent, dimension pro, ivory, NI B4II, FM7, Pro-53, Tascam 1884 control surface, yamaha S90es kb, korg M3 Module, Roland Fantom XR rack. Are their instrument definition files for Logic for Yamaha, Korg, Roland synths, modules etc..? (like Sonar/Cakewalk ins files?)

I like the look/feel of Logic, but it will be a big job to convert all my software to my iMAC.

Should I take the leap and upgrade my Logic Express to Logic8 Studio, and then replace my windows Music XPC/Sonar production environment with my Apople iMAC/Logic8 Studio rig?

Looking forward to learning from all of you Logic experts.

Thx

Dave

I like the look/feel of Logic, but it will be a big job to convert all my software to my iMAC.

Should I take the leap and upgrade my Logic Express to Logic8 Studio, and then replace my windows Music XPC/Sonar production environment with my Apople iMAC/Logic8 Studio rig?

I think that improved UI is a feature, if it makes the program easier to work with. For the longest time knowing Logic was like being part of some arcane cult. It's powerful nd does what I want, but 4/5/6/7 wes far from intuitive, and the hardest sequencer I had to learn (except perhaps KCS Level II).

I'd point oout to you, if you'r on the fence, Logic Express is $200, and upgrading to Logic Studio from it actually costs less (LE+LS upgrade=$498, LS8 Full = $499. Save a dollar!) It's a good way to see if you can work with Logic.

Geof

Adding something new to an app is a feature. If no other programs have it it is a feature. If 40 other programs have it it is still a feature. Your calling it a tweak does not change that.

The improvements, be they features or tweaks, are well worth $199 IMHO.

So to speak, they put speedometer from the right side (L7) to the left side (L8) and the steering wheel too. Kinda better to drive on our right-sided roads. This is a certainly new feature for L7, but nothing new in the absolute sense.

You have to remember that when Logic 7.0 came out, everyone said exactly the same thing. So I guess Logic 8 is exactly like Logic 6 then?

If you don't like Logic 8 that's your right to your opinion, and I might not be able to convince you. But saying it doesn't have any new features is wrong. I showed Logic 8 to a producer who works with Logic 10 hours a day. It took me one hour to show him a small part of the new features in Logic 8, and he was stunned, called the Apple Store from my studio to ask them to set a copy of the upgrade aside for him. Had he waited, he could have gotten an NFR from Apple within 48 hours, but he had to mix something yesterday and he simply couldn't wait.

A LOT of the features in the new features suggestions forum here have been added to Logic 8. And believe me, if you've spent only 16 hours with Logic 8, you don't know 1% of what it can do.

Here's a single example: want to rewire Logic into Reason?

1) Option-Command-N gives you the New Tracks dialog. Choose an external MIDI track and check "Open Library".

2) In the Library, double-click Reason. Reason is launched, and all Reason instruments appear in the library.

3) In the Library, choose one of the Reason instruments.

Voila. Your Logic track now controls the chosen Reason instrument.

That's not a new synth, but I call that a new feature.

OK one more. You have a multichannel plug-in. You want to use separate outputs? On the channel strip, click '+'. An Aux channel strip is created and a pair of outputs from the software instrument is automatically routed to that Aux. Nothing else to do. Click '+' again for anther separate output.

There are a LOT of improvements like this in Logic 8, and I am willing to bet you will find more as you continue working with it.

Sample accurate Editing and The transient snap (Which is working fine here on all types of audio simply by using the left and right arrow keys.) and the ability to PUNCH IN were worth the price of admission. I dont care wehater you think It should have been right in LP7 or not I knew what I was buying before I paid my 1k (Still WAY cheaper than PT).

Im frankly supprised at some of the reactions ive read on the web and some poeples complaints. I use PT daily and now finally feel like I dont have to at all anymore. Its going to be EXTREAMLY nice to be able to do corrective production from within the mix session, with no janky ass BS to deal with.

Man AND POST PAN STEREO SENDS? Are you kidding me?!!? The Glory!! Ima kill em dead with that alone.

Also People who are complaing about the ADC should try using PTS for some things that are simpy impossible that work great in logic (Like paralell Compression with different plugs on the Channel... Good Fing Luck with that one.)

MH

PS As I posted this David posted above and hes really really right. Myself and the producers that Im around all the time are going crazy. That s++t with the mulit output plugs in amazing.

That argument would only be valid if they had just changed the color of the UI. That's far from being the case.

If before, you had to push a button, then drag a slider and open a lid, then say "what is my speed" aloud and wait 3 seconds to get an answer from your speedometer, while now you just look at it and you can see your speed live in real time, that's a new UI which is a new feature.

I have been using it for about 10 hours and I am so glad apple took the approach they did. And so far no crashes! knock on wood!!!!!

and i still say it sounds better. Dave did they do any audio engine enhancements? or am I just imagining things but I swear the tracks I've been working on for months sound ......... different.

I haven't got my copy yet (due on Friday), but I've been reading about 33 pages of "New Features in Logic Pro 8". Maybe you could condense that into 15-20, but just a quick glance reveals the following:

1. List/Media panel on Arrange page - shows everything from Apple loops to patches for the synths to audio files for the project.

2. Renaming some of the more confusing elements (such as "audio object". This will make learning it a LOT easier for newbies.

3. One-button Track creation

4. Multiple Takes feature

5. Most instruments are now surround-capable

6. Mixer window now combines Track Mixer and Environment

7. Option to set Mute/Solo to operate in sync for channel strips and for tracks (this was a pet peeve of mine)

8. Templates (no need for autoload)

9. Able to run AU effects (not instruments) on remote Node

10. Page breaks for scoring (yea!)

11. One step to add new aux channels to multi-instruments - and now simple to add a multi-instrument

12. Single-window interface (similar to DPs consolidated window), but you can also pop the windows out and put them on a 2nd monitor.

This is just skimming through the "What's New manual" for things that caught my eye. Although there are not any new features that will rock the world, I think the developers have really addressed the ol' "Logic is hard to learn" aspect by concentrating on ergonomics and improved workflow.

Now if it doesn't have a whole new set of bugs, I'll be pretty happy (it still needs Beat Detective to make it complete, IMHO).

I really wonder what really ticked off the hatters.

Unrealistic expectations. A lot of people think that Logic should be better than its ever been, AND incorporate all the features from all competitive DAWs, because they consider those features 'standards', AND have a bunch of new exciting features.

Well the sad truth is that's not realistic.

I don't get it.... Some are screaming saying they don't like it without any strong background or many different reasons of why they don't like it.

On the other hand most are showing many different reasons of why they love it.

The pet feature they've been waiting for didn't make the cut. Same happened for me, but I'm not complaining. Being a 99.44% outboard MIDI and notation user (use audio occasionally, softsynths never) I just glad they didn't _cut_ any of the features I use.

Geof

exactly. To me..LS8 is new groundwork for the next generations of Logic. Remember the jump from 6-7? hell..from 7.0 to the last version was big..

by the time we see 8.3, we'll be getting more of the 'features' we were asking for.

the jump from PTools 6 to 7 comes to mind..as well as the jump from DP 4.5 to 5 and higher.

I don't even HAVE L8 yet..but I've been engrossed in the PDF's and videos as much as I can...I'm anxious to dive in (and recreate a new 'template/autoload)..again.. hahah :)

OK one more. You have a multichannel plug-in. You want to use separate outputs? On the channel strip, click '+'. An Aux channel strip is created and a pair of outputs from the software instrument is automatically routed to that Aux. Nothing else to do. Click '+' again for anther separate output.

Even cooler?

Hehehe- remove the multi-out plug. Oh wow, whadda ya know! Logic is smart enough to remove those pesky, extra tracks you created with that sweet "+" sign :D

So easy, a human could do it.

Unrealistic expectations. A lot of people think that Logic should be better than its ever been, AND incorporate all the features from all competitive DAWs, because they consider those features 'standards', AND have a bunch of new exciting features.

Well the sad truth is that's not realistic.

yup. honestly some people seem upset because logic doesn't have that OMG my music will be 1000x better feature, whatever that would be. logic 5 can create incredible records. logic 7 was a beast of a production suite. this thing is on another level.

if there's one thing the release of lp8 has made me realize its that way, way too many musicians seem to rely on their software for something that is all about the person producing the music.

and if we're talking value, show me another piece of software that gives you this much for 500 bucks, much less just 200 for the upgrade. machfive2? kontakt 3?

:roll:

sorry, I just had to laugh reading this..

It would not surprise me if this post was made by a bitter Steinberg or MOTU user or even worse, an agent of one of those companies. I doubt anyone who has used this new version for 16 hours would think NOTHING is different. That's just reads like a blatant attempt to disparage the release and sew negativity.

Then again, if you are an ordinary joe user, maybe you just have the wrong application? Maybe ProTools is more your speed. Perhaps Cubase 4 is more your liking? Its certainly true that all of these apps have a personality that seems to compliment different types of minds.

Well, I haven't upgraded yet, as I'm patiently waiting [crawling the walls] till I can get my free upgrade in a couple weeks...BUT....

I have to say I appreciate both sides of the subjective fence. I'm going to upgrade anyway - as will most people. I think it's mostly universal that the streamlined work flow is well worth the price of admission. However, it's like hearing about a hyped about movie. I'd prefer to hear the good and bad and set my expectations accordingly and not just the 'omg it's the best whoot yeeehaaw gimme the pill!' followers out there... That way, I don't set myself up for disappointed when I finally check it out and am better prepared to just enjoy the ride.

So, give these guys a break...as long as they can keep it civilized and constructive, logic developers can gain a lot of great input and continue to improve on a fantastic creative tool.

I don't get it.... Some are screaming saying they don't like it without any strong background or many different reasons of why they don't like it.

On the other hand most are showing many different reasons of why they love it.

Still no "platinum single" plug-in. People are also missing the "make my amateur music sound pro" template, and the "I'm never happy with anything" routing ability.

It is, after all, an online forum where anyone can say anything. Putting two arguments side by side offers up the air of credibility, but it shouldn't.

On tv they put in a lot of effort devoting equal time to opposing sides of arguments. Take climate change as an example, an extreme minority of the scientific community believes climate change isn't happening. Put them side by side on CNN and you'd think they were each 50% of the possible reality.

It's important to take any subjective criticism with a couple handfuls of coarse sea salt.

And if you like logic, like a lot of us do, and if you use it to make a living, like a lot of us do, then things are only getting better.

As a Logic user since version 2.5, this is certainly one of the biggest changes to the software I've ever seen in a single whole number update.

I don't think I've ever seen, in recent history at least, a software upgrade from any other manufacturer that's gone through this kind of overhaul in a single whole number upgrade. Certainly not Final Cut Pro, or Pro Tools, or Peak, or any Adobe product.

There's a lot more changes than just what's listed in the What's New docs. As far as value? Your lucky if you can update just Absynth, or Reaktor, or Kontakt for 199 bucks.