Apple releases Mac OS 10.4.10 Intel and PPC

You can install the update using "Software Update", in your apple menu, or download it from the following links:

Mac OS 10.4.10 Intel

Mac OS 10.4.10 Power PC

About Mac OS X 10.4.10 Update --> More Details

The 10.4.10 Update is recommended for PowerPC and Intel-based Mac computers currently running Mac OS X Tiger. This update includes general operating system fixes, as well as specific fixes or compatibility updates for the following applications and technologies:

- RAW camera support

- Mounting and unmounting external USB devices

- Support for 3rd party software applications

- Security updates

Im on 17" MacBook Pro and after installing the update my external usb drive isn't mounting. Its a western digital 160g drive in a usb 2 case, My 300g LaCie drive mounts fine (fw 800) but the other doesn't!

I tried mounting it manually with disc utility, but it doesn't show up there either. I checked my usb bus in the system profiler and it sees it as a usb storage device... but it seems like there is nothing i can do to mount it.

damn updates!

any ideas?

Luke

thanks for the help David, I have tried all my usb slots, with nothing else plugged in, as well as restarting on every slot. All my other usb devices (midi controlers, jump drive, ipod, logic key) are working fine.

I just read the update info on the apple website and it supposed to increase reliability with external usb drives... but it doesn't seem to be doing that :cry:

so i guess this is a heads up to others.

any other help woud be wicked.

Luke

I used to have to power cycle my Seagate external many times before my MBP would recognize it. Now it finds it asap everytime, so I'm well happy as I was about to buy a new external!

Bummer about your problem though man, been there many times!

any other help would be wicked.

Have you tried running Onyx or another maintenance program on your computer?

Have you tried the drive on a different computer because it could be completely coincidental, but the drive could be failing....

X

FWIW -

I'll download this and install it tonight, getting ready for a weekend marathon studio session.

For those who are interested in downgrading to a previous version should this one prove problematic:

Backups...

Personally, I use superduper!, but there are others.

In fact, I started using superduper! after upgrading to 10.4.9 and getting my first Logic Pro crash ever on this particular machine. At the time, I didn't have a backup strategy, and couldn't simply restore to get out of the mess it brought.

Anyway,

I'll check it out from a virtual instrument perspective (10.4.10).

Take care,

- zevo

Hi!

I use a PPC and an Intel macbook. The situation I'll describe was using the PPC. I didn't do the same test on the Intel machine.

I installed the 10.4.10 and I think there's something wrong. I was editing a waveform and used the "save selection as" option at the sample editor window, and the "add result files to audio windows" was checked. The result was ok, but I made an editing mistake and had to do the operation again. I deleted the unused waveform (not from disc), exported the right one, using the same name to the new waveform, and asked to replace the old waveform for the new one, and pressed enter.

Two strange things:

1. The new waveform was not added to the audio window.

2. When I manually imported it, it was the old one, and not the most recently edited one.

Does anyone notice that?

Thank you

DId you download the update or the combo?

I found there are actually 2 versions for both PPC and intel.

I've installed the combo too now and things are much better. The popping is still there but much less frequent and quieter too.

I probably will downgrade though. I'm gonna wait for a week until my exams finish so I can get the external hard drive I've been meaning to get for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

installed 10.4.10 a few days ago. my Macbook with an MyBook external drive and the Firepod have been working excellent ever since!!!

i'm only having some issues while running Soundflowerbed. it makes Logic crash once my projects become too large.

k

• 5 weeks later...

I installed 10.4.10 on my MacBook Pro to test it out before it went on my primary work station.

That being said everything is fine except for the random kernel panic, which is actually not THAT fine. I've had three since 10.4.10 and none for 10.4.8 or 10.4.9 so you know, caveat emptor. I should ad that this has been over the last four weeks, so it's not regular or repeatable.

I always automatically update my system, under the assumption that it must only be an improvement.

After reading this thread i'll be a bit more careful in the future.

Having said that, i've not experienced any problems to date.

10.4.10 has at least 3 reported problems:

1. Random audio pops and clicks from the Mac's analog output (I don't think this affects external audio I/O units). This is supposedly fixed in 10.4.10 v1.1:

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/02/mac-os-x-10-4-10-v1-1-and-audio-update-2007-001/

There's also a separate audio update 2007-001. Use this only if you don't want to run the full v1.1 system update:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305840

2. Some firewire drivers stop working. The solution beatz linked to (grabbing the FWAudio.kext file from the 10.4.9 combo updater) should fix that. There's this cryptic tech note as well:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305924

"To resolve this issue, install the FireWire SDK 24 for Mac OS X from the Development Kits page."

No explanation of what to do after installing the SDK, or how it fixes the problem.

3. Kernel panics, possibly related to airport (wi-fi).

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/07/24/os-x-10-4-10-update-causing-widespread-wifi-problems/

My PowerBook is still running 10.4.8 and I've skipped the last couple of Pro App updates as well. These last couple of system updates just seem to be adding more bugs than they fix. My theory is that the iPhone sucked up a lot of engineering resources, including Q/A over at Apple. Rumor has it that 10.4.11 is in the works though:

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0707macosx10411.html

Here's hoping it's a lot better than '9 and '10.