Redesigned Logic Plug-ins in Soundtrack Pro 2

before I start my little rant, let me just say that the way these plugs sound is obviously the most important thing..................

however............

I also think that the environment in which we work is very important.maybe i'm the only one, but I am keeping my fingers crossed that any further logic (or whatever it's called) updates would steer away from where this is heading.....

some words that come to mind.....

cold, grey, sterile, grey, dull, uninspiring, grey, grey, grey.........

for the most part, they are almost impossible to tell apart......

although I love logic (and I really do), I wish for logic to become lighter.....I guess my short time with protools left quite an impression....elegant, clear and (dare I say)....airy.....wheras logic is cold, sterile and grey......

I know most won't consider it that important......but consider every room in your house coloured like these plugs....or every outfit in your wardrobe....or every car you ever owned.....

colour and design affect our moods....and our moods affect our creativity

looking through the manual is strange.....they are all the same, but for a few exceptions.....

the little distortion thingy, the ringshifter and the visually (and sonically) astounding space designer....

why did these escape the 'grey-over' ?????

I hope the plugs continue in the same vein as space designer....or other elegant plugs like soundtoys or sonalksis.......and please, apple.......lighten up the gui for the whole program

let me breathe again

I have to dissagree El-bo

Grey or any other dark colour is best especially on long sessions or with tired eyes whn a deadline looms for seliver of a project for a client. Dark webpages are also best like this for the same reasons.

I can spend 14 hours a day plus working and I need to be able to look at the screen for a long time.

Yes grey is a boring colour, but we haven't bought Logic for it bright colours, we use as a tool and for the way it works.

You can make your projects brighter by using the colours option.

Dark colours are a must in this software..

I do understand, but staring at screens for hours straight (grey or not) should not be encouraged

deadlines or not, you should be taking breaks from the screen at regular intervals....you'll be no good to anyone if you burn out your eyes.....

and even on this website, the posts are displayed black on white, or black on grey.....

I also use grey more as an indicator of mood......believe me I do feel the strain on my eyes lessened....but how do people using protools survive ?????

anyway, you're right....I bought and love logic for how it sounds, but i'm a sucker for some eye candy......they can still be dark and functional, just look at the soundtoys units.....

peace

I really like the look of the multi-band.

Real easy on the eyes, and striking a perfect balance between simple effective 2d graphic layout and a pleasing 3d look.

I hope this is what we can expect for Logic.

I agree with the darkness being better for long sessions.

Maybe I would have liked a real 2d design even better,(a la ableton LIVE, but a bit classier..) but I like how they've not gone over the 3d top like some plug-in manufacturers...

Wow...I kinda agree with el-bo. Suprised so many disagree, or at the very least, prefer or tend toward the greys.

I said "kinda" because it is the "every plug-in looks the same" that gets me. I absolutely LOVE the look of Space Designer, Sculpture, ES2, EVB3, etc right now. If they made those look like those STP2 plugs, I would be extremely disappointed.

Hey, call me shallow or whatever, but I do care about what I work with looks like. I dont want it too busy, but "blah"? No thanks. I find that almost anti-inspirational. I mean, why paint or finish a guitar then? Why not leave the bare wood, seal it, and go? Why not leave the raw metals look? Why fashion the wood into anything other than completely functional? No more wood than needed, screw the shape, except to make it fit the human body in a specific position? Sorry, but for me, and I think there are others, the look DOES matter.

Cubase4 touted tons of extra features. And I am coming from using PT HD. I was doing work for others, and spent most of my life wokring on others' music, both sides of the board, and writing music WITH others. I had a life altering event, and was faced with ALOT of free time, but not much cash. And I realized PT HD was money sitting there depreciating, with no ability to keep up if/when Digi moves on, and that PT HD just did not meet my needs for composing MY music...stuff I can concentrte on for the first time in my life. I upgraded an old version of Cubase to C4...and was disappointed. Sure, it does alot. But, it is....BLAH. Open the app, and BLAH. Open any one of the included plug-ins, and it is yet another blob of BLAH on top of the larger blob of BLAH. It is like a late afternoon Portland/Seattle sky during winter...BLAHHHHHHH.

Digi made some new Digirack plugs, and they were headed in a cool direction I thought...and then the AIR division put out some VI's...and they look like pre-school toys to me. Ugh. Digital Peformer...wow...so much..ummm..lol! Yet, their plug-ins for sale that work in OTHER apps look nice IMO. Go figure. And then there was Logic Pro...

The older plugins are pretty...well, long in the tooth. but, with the new ones, I am inspired when I open them. I WANT to play with them, do stuff with them. Go ahead- make the "utility" type plugs all look the same, and look like "BLAH Blobs." I could care less. But for the ones I will use to sculpt? PLEASE! Do not play with them. Instead, add to them, and give me more toys to play with, with new and interesting- and attractive skins. Look at Lounge Lizard 1. Sounded great (at the time), but the look was so uninspiring to me. I went back to using the EP's in my K2500XS...til something better came along....

Oh yeah- I even looked at Reaper. Lasted all of 3-5 minutes. I got past the stale, generic, erm...stolen? look. I figured, it is skinable, so I can change that if I want. But, it lacked SOOO much under the hood. Point? Yeah- there is a point: I want the look to be attractive to me. Function comes first tho. But, petty as it might seem, one of the reasons I do not even open C4 anymore is because I dont like to look at it. It is also the same reason I would never drive a Pacer...even if given to me for free :D

puke!

Looks like LIve and Izoptope plugs.

if logic goes more this look. i would not be upgrading. 7.2.3 does what i need.

also, why not more fixes instead of graphic engine design. if apple comes out with this "Here is our new "Pro" Audio Application" and it is just a bunch of new graphics that take up even more of your cpu, and makes redraw even slower then PUKE!

Logic 6 looks good. I guess I still miss the emagic logo opening.

I think i might try to switch out the splash screens so i don't have to look at this keyboard icon anymore. PUKE!

Those graphics confuse me. I get lost when looking at them.

I feel much better now. ---- RALPH! PUKE!!!! Excuse me sorry. I just saw some new graphics that uh... made me sick.

I also agree.... it's about sound, not looks, interface is important. But my main question is "why redesign?" I know this tool (Logic) and have invested a lot of time learning it. Why do I have to learn something new? There better be a pay off. Better sound, new features that really improve my music or workflow.

Let's face it, these products are marketed visually, and skinning plugs is both easy, and looks great in advertising.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Just recently as last night I frequented the Soundtrack Pro site, looking to see whether Apple had perhaps added anymore content since the ACTUAL release of FC Studio.

I don't know if anyone has noticed it themselves, but they have, in fact, added some Tutorials. In one of the STP vids I spied the new look Compressor.

I'm sure most of you already know about this from reading the STP Manual, but there has been a change to the Compressor plugin.

They have added a Limiter, maybe adopted from their other plugin.

Most notibly, in the top left hand corner was a new option labelled "Circuit Type" with it a selectable pull down box. The option on display in the vid indicated "Platinum." an algorithm obviously associated to Logic Pro.

This reveals to me that the plugin is capable of employing more than one compression circuit!!! I'm taking a punt here, it looks like they may have added a few engine options, most probably the plugin could very well offer new Vintage Emulations!!

But this is just speculation..

Input?? Anoyone with their hands on STP that can confirm or debunk my theory??

If I AM RIGHT it would mean a definate YES to a new Logic arounfd the corner. This is simply because it is hardly an option they would add to an application meant for Post Productions, most likely used by novices - It would definately seem more of a PRO AUDIO thing as you would expect from an app like Logic:)

Oh yeah and my opinion in this GUI debate... not that anyone asked...LOL :lol:

Having a neutral looking display does help in the sence that anything colorful, like your, regions, your meters, you flashing record arm buttons, or your plugin interface will stand out and be more apparent against the background.

You will be less likely to be distracted by other non essential asthetics. This is also why Adobe has taken a simular approach to their apps. It does also help to preserve your eyes on a day to day basis too. Less color intensity means less visual stimulus, means fewr sore eyes.

That being said, yeah, it could still afford to be lightened a bit and have some of the visual asthetics tended too without doing too much to the overall interface. So I do agree in partial to lightening the interface.

But in general the bigger problem I find with the GUI is that it should allow you to dock several windows and make them easily collapsible. Pro Tools does this to a degree and it's useful. But it doesn't have to go to the tabbed extreme of the FCS apps for it to be effective. I still like the practicality of Logic's screensets.

I gotta say I'm not big on the Logic app Icon either... It looks more like a synth app then a Pro Audio app. I think the =y should make it look simular to STP icon, but with an obvious difference or two.

I gotta say I'm not big on the Logic app Icon either... It looks more like a synth app then a Pro Audio app. I think the =y should make it look simular to STP icon, but with an obvious difference or two.

Aha! That is the question right there! Personally, I think Logic is a pro synth (music composing) app, not a pro audio app. Part of composing is recording audio, and it is supported, but let's not turn it into an audio post tool. That's Soundtrack pro, where music is simply selecting a "style and genre and mood" from a bin.

Logic is where musicians and composers write music. STP is where video guys add sfx and canned music. Pro Tools is where recording engineers record live audio, record bands, etc..

How's that?

John