Apple Loops don't set up plugins correctly

scribe

Is this a bug?

I thought I'd try learning more about Logic's various DSP plugins by dragging in some apple loops to see what was done to make those loops sound like they do.

I've dragged various MIDI loops to audio instrument tracks but usually any delay or reverb will be left off and the EQ and compressors that do show up may not reflect the settings of the loop as played back in the browser.

I've compared the same loops in a GarageBand song and can make guesses to add plugins and set them up in Logic but what's the deal here?

Why aren't the plugins added added correctly when you drag a loop from the browser (as it is in GBand)?

Strange...

Ty

thanks ... I'll check out the master track in GB as well

but....

as I said, the Apple Loops are NOT instantiating their associated delays and reverbs when dragged on to a Logic track. In GarageBand they DO have them (on the track - not the master) which you can see in the info pane for the loop's track.

Hmm... I'll try setting some up in a GB song and opening in Logic to see if they are set up correctly ... good idea.

Ty

OK

I set up some "80s Dance Bass Synth" loops (oh ... the horror) in GBand and then opened that GB file in Logic.

The delay and reverb for these loops are now found in the Logic song on Bus 1 and 2. So, indeed, GB must have these effects set up as busses in GB and just dragging the loops in Logic will not set up busses.

This makes some sense but also makes the use of Apple loops in Logic somewhat deceptive.

So at least I can check the exact delay settings for the loops now by importing GB songs ... a bit round about but OK.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

This is what I've found in the manual:

f you create a SIAL from a region on a software instrument track that uses sends to bus effects, and then drag the saved loop to another (empty) instrument track, the new loop will sound different to the original source region. This happens because the effects sends in the original track are not saved with the loop.

Logic Pro does not automatically assign effects to busses, because doing so would potentially interfere with bus configurations that you’ve already set up in your project.

Effects that are inserted directly into the software instrument channel will, however, be automatically recalled when the loop is dragged into the Arrange area from the Loop Browser.

You can use one of the following options to ensure that loops created from software instrument regions will sound the same as the original regions:

1- Drag your SIAL (the original of which was assigned to bus sends) to an audio track instead of an instrument track. When you create a software instrument loop, the udio file that is rendered will include any bus processing. This will sound identical to the original.

2- When creating a loop from a software instrument region, you should directly insert all effects needed to reproduce the desired sound into the instrument’s channel strip. This will allow all sound elements to be faithfully recreated when you add the loop to an instrument track.

3 - When using SIALs on an unassigned channel strip, manually set up the sends and bus effects needed to reproduce the sound of the original region.

I'm not sure to understand the second option. Seems to be the same as the third for me. Anybody have a clue on this? Thanks.

I'm not sure to understand the second option. Seems to be the same as the third for me. Anybody have a clue on this? Thanks.

If you do Option 2, you have moved all the DSP effects from the busses and outputs to your channel strip. Heads up here - It will sound different!! Plug-ins on the busses/auxes have the bus send to control effect - effects are generally set to all wet for output. If you put plug-ins into the channel strip, you need to get into them to adjust the wet/dry effect to match the blend of your original sends.

Option 3 implies no moving plug-ins to channel strip, but recreating bus sends and output plug-ins like the original loop had. It assumes (correctly) these were not included in the loop creation information. Depending on your routing, you could save most of this information as channel strip settings.