Bluetooth Headphones give garbled output with Logic Studio 8

Hi All,

I recently shelled out for a pair of Sony BT DR50 bluetooth headphones with the intent of using them with Logic Studio 8 (I'm using a macbook and wanted to reduce the cable clutter, etc).

The headphones pair with my macbook fine and work perfectly with iTunes and any other app, but if I use them with Logic Studio 8 or Garageband the sound is garbled. I've played around with the buffer and any other settings in Preferences > Audio > Devices but nothin seems to help.

Has anyone else had this problem? AFAIK, the bluetooth headphone use coreaudio so shouldn't they work just like any other coreaudio component?

Thanks,

Noel

Hi All,

Figured it out just now, hope this helps someone else.:

The bluetooth headphones I was using had two profiles (Headset and headphones) and while I could select the profile to use for the system output device, Logic and Garageband both defaulted to the headset profile (presumably the first profile presented by the headphones). The reason it was so garbled was because the headset profile uses a sampling rate of 8KHz, but GB/LP only output in 44.1KHz.

The solution was to un-pair (delete the pairing) of the headphones and re-pair, only this time I only selected that OSX should use the headphones profile only , and not the headset profile. Subsequent starting of GB/LP and setup of the output device presented no issues and I can now listen to my creation using my bluetooth headphones. Hooray! :)

Hope this helps someome else.

Regards,

Noel

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm using Logic Pro 9 and am having the same problem with the whole differentiation between 'Headset' and 'Headphones' profile on a pair of Altec Lansing Backbeat 906 headphones. How do you make OSX/Logic choose the 'Headphones' profile? It works fine with iTunes and all other apps. Really annoying!