Two unexpected problems...

Guitarfreak

1. I imported a Metallica song to reverse it because a friend of mine thought he heard something backwards. It won't reverse. I tried bouncing to different formats and reimporting. Which brings me to problem two.

2. When I bounce and import the audio is horribly compressed and looks like it's been shoved into a brickwall limiter with input gain set high. The original track has no effects and neither does the output buss... Bouncing normalize is not clicked. I have tried MP3 and AIFF, both with similar results.

It won't reverse.

Like how ? Instead of playing backwards after the Reverse command , does it say "I won't reverse ?"

I opened the track in sample editor and the 'reverse' feature was greyed out.

What's that band's name again ?

Haha, no but seriously, looking at the original track I can see that it RMS around -6-3dB and rarely peaks at 0dB. The bounced copies slam 0dB from the get go and don't let up. Something is wrong.

Besides, you fell ear-deafeningly silent on the Reverse command part. I take it that you sorted out your MP3 problem then, right ? And what was the hidden message then, after all ? ! esrever t'now I

The thread just seemed to move in the opposite direction :D But since you ask, no I have not worked it out, it's still being a noob. This is one thing that I don't like about Logic, sometimes s#!+ works and you love it and sometimes it doesn't work and you have no idea why. If Logic were any closer to a woman, I'd marry it.

If you want to postpone figuring it out to some other time, why not try reversing the file in an audio editor, like the freeware Audacity?

At least you'll have your satanic message tonight.

:twisted:

J.

True, but why should I have to download freeware to perform a function that is included with Logic... which I paid for :(

convert your MP3 to something sensible … Make sure it is not an mp3

I don't think this should be an issue, because when you drag an mp3 into Arrange, Logic immediately creates an AIFF version of that file, which it places in your Audio Files folder (for that project).

move the WAV or AIFF file to a location where you and Logic have read/write permissions

If it's an mp3 on a locked volume, the Sample Editor behaves in an odd way. Once you create a selection it acts as if the commands are available (Reverse etc), and it lets you think you're applying them, but the commands have no effect. And really they should. They should just be applied to the AIFF copy that Logic created in your Audio Files folder.

If it's an AIFF/WAV on a locked volume, and you create a selection, all the commands will remain gray except for Change Gain. More on this in a moment.

I don't think his situation is a locked AIFF/WAV, because I think he tried it with an mp3. And I don't think his situation is a locked mp3, because in that situation Reverse would not be gray (once he made a selection). The command would fail when you try to invoke it, but it wouldn't be gray.

make sure you have at least some or all of the file selected in the Sample Editor when you try to reverse

I think this might be the problem.

Hey Guitarfreak, try this. In the Sample Editor when you see that Reverse is grayed out, what else is grayed out? There are nine commands in a group (Normalize, Change Gain, Fade In, etc). Are they all gray? In particular, is Change Gain gray?

If they're all gray, that means that chris identified your problem: you have failed to make a selection. If they are all gray except for Change Gain, that means you have opened an AIFF/WAV, and you have made a selection, but Logic does not have permission to write to the file. (If the underlying file was a locked mp3 instead of a locked AIFF/WAV, the behavior would be different; the commands would be available but would simply not work. Even though they should!)

By the way, it's not that Logic lets you Change Gain on a locked AIFF/WAV. It's that it lets you try, and then tells you, via a dialog, that you can't. Whereas with the other commands, the menu item is gray. So this is just a quirky inconsistency in the interface, but the quirk is inadvertently useful because you can simply pull down the menu and realize via a glance that the file you opened happens to be a locked AIFF/WAV. The Sample Editor window should indicate this locked status in some other way, but unfortunately it doesn't.

So tell us if Change Gain is gray. If it is, the problem is that you have failed to make a selection. If it's not (and Reverse is), the problem has something to do with write permissions.

Anyway, this is how it works on 9.1. I suppose 9.0.1 might be different, but I assume it's not.

edit: On the other hand, when you open a region in the Sample Editor, some or all of the audio is already selected, by default (corresponding with the boundaries of the region). So it's hard to picture how you ended up with no selection.

Anyway, I hope you tell us what you find out, because it's an interesting mystery (aside from the mystery of what those dudes were saying in reverse).

I found out what happened. Still don't know why the bounced audio imported funny like that, but I restarted Logic and it imported fine, so it wasn't a bouncing problem, it was an importing problem... word.

I got the file to flip, I had to select the section in the sample editor window like you said. Is there a quicker way to flip an entire track?

I got the file to flip, I had to select the section in the sample editor window like you said

OK, so chrishanson was right.

Is there a quicker way to flip an entire track?

The machine I'm using at this moment is pretty slow, and I was just able to reverse a 4-minute mp3 in about 10 seconds. Is that not quick enough? Or is it taking longer on your machine?

What's the message?

I've been wondering about that myself. Darn it, now I realize we all could have saved a lot of time, because some nice reverse Metallica can be found via here. Why reinvent the wheel? (I wonder if they used Logic?) But let me pass along this warning:

The following may be scary for young children and those with weaker faith.

Personally, the part I find scary is the amount of compression on those records.

for those curious, here are the ones i've found through my days..

Two are from the Metallica song Of Wolf and Man, the first one I found by accident many, many years ago. I must have put the tape in backwards ;)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2206684/backwards/ofwolflucifer.mp3

The second one I found this time around trying to find the one above-

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2206684/backwards/ofwolfback.mp3

And this third one is Queen, from the song Another One Bites the Dust. It's a crappy mp3, so it's hard to hear, but it sounds like he is saying 'its fun to smoke marijuana'

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2206684/backwards/02%20Another%20One%20Bites%20%231E6_6.mp3