Nudging tracks by 5000 samples?

prickstein

Hi all, I recorded some tracks last week for the first time in Logic and had my recording delay accidentally set to -5000 samples and can't work out how to get them back to where they should be.

Please help a frustrated Pro Tools user who is trying to make the switch to Logic.

I know how to nudge by a set amount in PT but I can't work out how to do it in Logic. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Rick

I was more thinking along the lines of the young and innocent.

Right. An excellent call on your part!

Also, and in all seriousness, that's a really cool tip/trick (esp. because I've never had any use for shuffle before).

Of course, a real professional would be using shuffle all the time, so I bow my head in shame for being so far behind on the feature set.

:(

How long does it take to type '-113' in the delay parameter?

:roll: :lol:

Certainly not as long as figuring out why his tracks slipped out of sync after he SMPTE-locked them and attempted to change the Tempo so the bars line up with the music...

Region/Instrument Delay is tempo dependent, even when set to ms, so if he changes tempo for some reason later on, it gets really messy.

Christian

Edited by fuzzfilth

How long does it take to type '-113' in the delay parameter?

:roll: :lol:

Yeah, but... the "width" (time) of any delay value varies with the tempo. Any given delay value at one tempo will not produce the same amount of delay at another tempo, even if the delay display is set to milliseconds. Try it and see:

• At 120 BPM, set the delay display to "milliseconds" on any region

• Change the tempo to 150 BPM, or 75 BPM, or whatever. You'll see that the delay value changes (the number of milliseconds increases or decreases).

Now, switch the display so that the delay doesn't show milliseconds...

• At 120 BPM, say, set the delay display to 100

• Change the tempo and note that the delay value stays the same

What this shows is that the delay value is tick-based, and the "width" (time) of a tick changes with the tempo, but you will only see this if the display is shown in milliseconds.

Ok guys, I think you just helped me make a major decision. I'm only going to use Logic for it's MIDI and VI's when I need to make music beds for video work from now on. Any serious audio editing work is way too clunky for me.

I learnt Pro Tools in one afternoon when I was working in radio. I've been learning Logic for almost a year now and I can barely work the thing.

I was starting to think it was all too "mathematical" instead of musical and several of your responses have confirmed that for me.

Thanks for your help, I'll keep trying .

Rick

Edited by prickstein

I learnt Pro Tools in one afternoon when I was working in radio. I've been learning Logic for almost a year and I can barely work the thing

One little 5000 delay user error and Logic is again banished

from the "serious" world once again. It breaks my not so serious MIDI heart.

I guess I am one of the fortunate ones. I discovered GarageBand by chance on my first Intel iMac. As an ex-musician wanting for years to get back into music, I saw it as a playground. When I outgrew that playground I purchased Logic Studio 8. Having never used ProTools, Reason, Fruity Loops...I approached Logic completely unbiased. Other than the occasional bug, I am nothing but impressed with the depth of the program and it's capabilities.

Where some see limitations, I see endless possibilities!