I want to record a dj set, but can only rec 60mins in length

ltpowda

Can you help guys

I want to record a dj set but can only record i think approx 60 mins. I can't get anymore length. I can't even record from the start again on another track, i think it only lets 60 mins of recorded audio. I check the audio settings and maximum level and 60 mins is the maximum i can set

All i want to do is be able to record an 80min set non stop in one logic session

thanks guys

I think the work-around is to set your song/ project BPM to a slow setting... maybe 60 BPM.

Logic has this limit with song "bar length" I believe.

I'm fairly new to Logic though, and I could be wrong with the detail.

You are right on with this detail, ,but there is more to it. See pg 93 in the Reference manual.

The MAX length of a song is 8550 quarter notes. So lowering the BPM will increase the song legnth. Also cutting the timing will increase the legnth. Change 4/4 to 4/8. As per the manual...a 4/8 song at a tempo od 60 bpm has a max length of more than 4273 bars, or over 2 hrs and 20 mins. :shock:

Look in the help section in Logic to see the .pdf reference manual.

167429497_Picture1.png.34dac4be3a0ed68c08f35df28f08bef2.png

Edited by shivermetimbers

I think the work-around is to set your song/ project BPM to a slow setting... maybe 60 BPM.

Logic has this limit with song "bar length" I believe..

That's correct, but the first thing to adjust the 'Maximum Record Time' in Audio > Set Audio Record Path.

The maximum length of a song in bars is about 2,840 in 4/4 at 120bpm, which should be a little more than 2 Hours.

From then if you need more, lower your bpm.

thanks you so much guys. How dumb am i, i can't believe i didn't think of that

Sorry i didn't be specific about the memory and the harddrive details but it seems like you didn't need that info.

For the record i have 1 160gig (50%full) and 1 320gig (60%full) and my memory is 1 gig.

Thanks again

• 4 months later...

So I record live music, typically 4 microphones (mostly classical recording). BPM means absolutely nothing to me, and I would never, ever use BPM for locational reference for this recorded material. Does it matter if I never even view BPM? I figured I would always just have absolute time, or somethinng like that as my positional reference, because BPM makes no sense for my purposes.

Am I correct in assuming that Logic Pro 7 only cares about BPM, and it will break it down to that counting scheme anyway? If that is the case and the ONLY thing I care about is that my recording will not stop until I hit stop, do I just set it to the lowest BPM (1 BPM?) and expect that I'll get the longest recording time?

Also, if I record 2 hours of 4 tracks @ 24/96, will Logic stop recording because it has hit a file size limitation?

Thank you,

CJ

You can choose View > SMPTE, and that's the grid you'll use. Logic still counts in Bars and beats internally, so like you said, lower your tempo to 5 BPM.

Logic has a maximum audio file size of 2GB.

You still have to set the maximum recording time (or simply uncheck it) in Audio > Set audio record path.

• 3 years later...

It was actually recorded in Cubase and it is a .wav file (8gb mono x2) - I am also aware that a wav file should not exceed 4GB...I think from memory. It plays fine in Cubase though.

However if you open a blank session in Logic with no audio, I can't get it to go longer than 12 hours by slowing the tempo and typing in a large number in the end bar box of the transport, if you change the song sampling rate to 96 khz, the limit is now 6 hours. I haven't tried 192khz.

It was actually recorded in Cubase and it is a .wav file (8gb mono x2) - I am also aware that a wav file should not exceed 4GB

Yes, that's why I was surprised. Weird.

However if you open a blank session in Logic with no audio, I can't get it to go longer than 12 hours by slowing the tempo and typing in a large number in the end bar box of the transport, if you change the song sampling rate to 96 khz, the limit is now 6 hours. I haven't tried 192khz.

I get about the same results as you - I can go to 13 hours 30mn by lowering the tempo and changing the time signature. I guess that's a limitation of Logic.

Maybe you should cut your audio file in chunks and work in two different projects?

Maybe you should cut your audio file in chunks and work in two different projects?

Yeah thanks, there doesn't seem to be another option, it was a seamless DJ set so it would have been nice to have the audio all on one track. Nice to know I guess, but would be a great feature if more than 6 hours was possible.