Re-Indexing Apple Loops

karp47

I created a User Apple Loop today, (by dragging my audio region from the logic arrange area into the loop browser) I decided that I wanted to slightly change it so I made another one and went to

~/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/User Loops/SingleFiles and deleted the initial loop that I no longer wanted.

Then I attempted to reindex my loop library so that it would not show the loop that was no longer available.

Now since doing this it will only index my "User" loop library, I have tried to reindex my main apple loop library (by dragging) and it keeps reindexing the user library every time. (Even after trashing all the index files)

Normally I can sort most Logic problems out on my own but I rarely use Loops and have no idea why it isn't reindexing.

I'm assuming there could be a plist file or something that I could delete to sort it out but don't really want to go messing around too much

Make sure you delete index files from BOTH your user location AND the root location:

Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Apple Loops Index/

... AND ...

{Your Home Folder}/Library/Audio/Apple Loops Index/

Once all those files are deleted, drag your folders to the Loop Browser.

All of that was deleted and it still wouldn't reindex, I ended up finding a solution though.

The only way to fix it was to go into garageband, reindex the apple loops in there and then they were all good in Logic again. (This is the second time this has happened to me, the first time I ended up using a time machine backup)

• 1 year later...

Hello!

I seem to be having similar problems as you karp47! I deleted an own made apple-loop and when I restarted Logic-8 I was asked to reindex, but then I lost some of my default-loops (they're somehow much less) since I tried to find already used (Motown drum) loops and they weren't there. The problem is I cannot seem to be able to run reindex. How do you exactly reindex. You state that you went into Garageband and reindexed then it worked. Can you please be more explicit how you did it? In my case, when I select Garageband under Loops, I see no loops, but then I have not really used Garageband, so not sure whether any loops were there before or not.

Grateful for any help.

Actually, what you do is quit Logic...

and follow these instructions...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2443

You MUST have GB installed and you MUST run GB once after completing this instructions...

Then quit GB and Open Logic and the loops should all be there.. If not, now rebuild the index in Logic itself... by right clicking on the Apple Loop Browser in Logic and selecting Re-Index Apple Loops User Library and you should be set to go....

Oddly enough this does work in a lot of cases.... and is a known 'fix' for such issues...

• 2 weeks later...