Exs24 effect question

Hello all,

I'm trying to create one of those looped build ups prevalent in electro house etc where a short 2 bar/1 bar phrase gets repeated quicker and quicker before looping so quickly it becomes a single pitch like a high sine wave.

Is anyone aware how I might do this? Is it possible to automate the playback of the loop in this way?

If not could anyone recommend how I might achieve a similar thing within logic using its native plugins?

Many thanks

Best way I'd propose to do this is to bounce an entire measure of your song to audio; loop it, cut it in half, loop it, cut it in half, loop it, etc. etc.- try turning the beat division to 1/64 for easier cutting of the loop.

Then, when you have the region cut really short (1/64 to 1/128, do it to taste to get the timbre you want) and looping, bounce this to audio. Create a new sampler track from the audio (or manually load it into an initialized EXS24 instrument), set it to pitch'd mode and tada, you have your sound.

I'm trying to create one of those looped build ups prevalent in electro house etc where a short 2 bar/1 bar phrase gets repeated quicker and quicker before looping so quickly it becomes a single pitch like a high sine wave.

Is anyone aware how I might do this? Is it possible to automate the playback of the loop in this way?

You should be able to achieve that by simply copying and cutting that phrase (in half) and looping each segment the desired amount. I'll whip up a quick example and post a screenshot later.

O, I see TC was a few seconds quicker!

OK, I just tried this method and unfortunately the looping of regions starts misbehaving when looping regions are smaller than 120 ticks, so... the EXS24 method should work better.

I'll create a new topic on the unruly behavior of the loops.

OK, I just tried this method and unfortunately the looping of regions starts misbehaving when looping regions are smaller than 120 ticks, so... the EXS24 method should work better.

I'll create a new topic on the unruly behavior of the loops.

It's quite bizarre, one of two issues always seems to happen–

The first is that sometimes, looping a small region will sometimes make all loops on that track stop working, triggering the region only once.

The second is that I can sometimes only loop small loops in multiples of four, which is also quite bizarre (albeit the small regions are usually the equivalent of a 1/128 to 1/512th note in my project tempo, which may explain the 'four' phenomenon)

PM me or post the thread link here for me to share my input when you create it.

I've created an example project on how I'd go about creating this effect.

As with anything in music, there are multiple ways of accomplishing things, and my way may not be the 'best' way for your purposes. It is, however, a method.

When you open the project, take notice to the reverb automation. Also, realize that any audio sample can be used, not just a kick drum– for example, a snippet of your whole track– but something with a nice transient helps to get a good, FM/saw-like buzz.

Here is the audio example:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1715217/kick_buzz_bounce.m4a

And the project is attached:

speed_and_resample.zip