Sound design - ES2 Pink Floyd Empty Spaces

Not sure if I should post it here or ir Logic topic :)

dingdangdawg from apple forums pointed me this forum, I think that he is here too.

Well, I'm trying to recreate a patch from pink floyd, the song empty spaces, from the wall.

After a lot of researches, and after trying to run kirnu - a arpeggiator audio unit - and causing a midi feedback (microphony?) and seeing a black screen of death twice, I found that maybe ES2 with the vector engine could be the sane way to do this patch.

But I need help from experts: What should I modulate? I'm trying to modulate the filter cutoff, it's close, but I think that I can get better. The patch is the one that shows at 48 seconds of this video:

Thanks on advance!

This is what I have managed to do until now:

[soundcloud]

[/soundcloud]

After trying to use the Vector Engine, I come to a much simpler idea, using a LFO synced with the host. I put a screenshot here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/573540/Empty-Spaces-ES2-LFO.png

It will work, but it's not 100%. It's a kind of arpeggiator, but it doesn't trigger the attack on all the notes (and Mainstage doesn't have a arpeggiator). I think that the Vector Envelope is the way to go. :)

Well, if someone can shed some light here I will be happy :)

Welcome to Logic Pro Help Waltercruz! :D

Not sure if I should post it here or ir Logic topic :)

All "how to make that sound?" questions belong in the Control Room forum (as they're often not specific to Logic or Logic's soft synths) - I moved this thread to the Control Room forum.

Now to those synths... Tough one to hear. Sounds like several patches layered, but I dont think I'd use the vector envelope - it's more of a tremolo sound with someone playing chords?

1) A straight thick lead sound doubling the main notes of the guitar melody.

2) Someone playing chords through some kind of organ-like sound going through a tremolo.

Sound #2 is kinda hard to hear. I don't have a copy of the original lying around - that would probably make it easier to hear.

Hmmm.. pretty close :)

Is this using just Logic/Mainstage Synths?

How do you suggest me to playing this live? Besides mainstage, my another synth is a Motif XS Rack, maybe I can get a closer patch on it?

Don't know if this is useful to someone, but according to various sources, the original synth on this is a Arp Quadra, and was played by James Guthrie (like most of the synths on The Wall album). Arp Quadra has a arpeggiator (altough not sure if the original was a arpeggiator).

Thanks on advance!

Is this using just Logic/Mainstage Synths?

Yes. I will post the project to this thread later (I'm not on the same machine right now).

How do you suggest me to playing this live? Besides mainstage, my another synth is a Motif XS Rack, maybe I can get a closer patch on it?

I don't think so but you could definitely experiment to see if you can get closer on the MOTIF. I would tweak it in MainStage until it sounds right (if only for the sake of not having to carry the MOTIF around ;)).

Hey, just saw your answers today :oops:

I'm downloading the patch and will test.

BTW, I have made a On The Run version with ES2.. Just a rough draft, but made all in ES2, with no arpeggiators or sequencers, just plain mainstage.

[soundcloud]

[/soundcloud]

I use mainstage on the practice with the band, but live I normally carry the motif xs rack together, to supply some patches and give me sensation of security :)

I'm downloading the patch and will test.

Let me know how it works for you!

BTW, I have made a On The Run version with ES2.. Just a rough draft, but made all in ES2, with no arpeggiators or sequencers, just plain mainstage.

Wow, that's very good!! Especially when low-passed... if you want to share, please do attach that ES2 setting to a new thread in your "Plug-in and Channel Strip" sharing forum: viewforum.php?f=8

• 2 months later...