I/O error Result code = -36, Fade Update Failed (Error -36)

Arkadi

Hi there

I've had this error on my home system, and now I'm on the road with my Macbook pro and am getting the same error with a totally different system! Any ideas?

I saw on google searches it could have something to do with firewire drives, and I am using one. Could that be it?

I/O error Result code = -36

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/9031/screenshot20110905at820.png

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/6885/screenshot20110905at826.png

Latest macbook Pro.. 2GHZ

OSX 10.7.1

Well I don't think its firewire now. I used the USB ports on the firewire drive and still got the same problem. Even unplugged it, same result. So it has something to do with the audio I bounced within the project. If I delete all the files then it works, but obviously I can't do that. Is there a way to resave the audio files or somehow restore them? If I deleted a particular file as I did in the beginning of this post, then it seemed to fix it, but now I can't find the file, instead I have to delete the whole thing. I'm slightly convinced this has something to do with a recent logic update as I rarely had this problem earlier in the year

After messing with it, taking audio tracks out and putting it back in it would work. But if I left the computer for 10min the I/O error came back, then it would start again. I'm experimenting with changing the power settings to see if it has something to do with that. Man what a pain this is.. and I have a deadline too. Sucks

Nope it's an OYEN, but my internal mac drive is a solid state. I ruled out firewire though, cause I disconnected the OYEN and am getting the same error.

Strange thing is, I've gotten this exact same error lately on a completely different mac system. Just now I got the error again by just saving my project under a new name.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be most appreciative. This is one of those 'my career hangs in the balance' deadlines. I'd pay 10K to never have this problem again, as thats the amount of money I'm going to lose if I don;t turn in my project tonight.

o_O

Nope it's an OYEN,

They don't make the actual drive. Open system profiler and see what it says for "model". Does it start with WDC?

Anyway, use disk utility and repair the drive, or better, DiskWarrior if you have it. If that doesn't solve it, you may need to multipass low level format the drive to be sure bad sectors are mapped out.

Like I said, I removed the drive completely and the error remains. But I checked anyway and its a Seagate Momentus 3Gb/s (ST9750420AS).

My mobile system, computer, drives, etc... is less than a week old. Everything brand new. Based on the link I posted in my previous response, I'm totally convinced it's a bug in a recent update in Logic 9.1.4 (or 5) since I had this exact same problem once I updated Logic on my home system with totally different gear.

Well the studio is waiting for my score and I'm totally dead in the water with this I/O crap. Thanks Apple for destroying my career with your buggy software. I shelled out 4K on Mac products JUST so I could use Logic while out of town and I'm stopped dead in my tracks because of this.

Anyone hiring at Starbucks?

I'm totally convinced it's a bug in a recent update in Logic 9.1.4 (or 5) since I had this exact same problem once I updated Logic on my home system with totally different gear.

Yes. It could be that previous Logic versions ignored more minor hardware error reports and now they've made it more "sensitive" to them.

New drives have plenty of bad sectors too. The drive firmware maps them out as long as it catches all of them. Unfortunately they can be intermittent which is why, in some cases, a multipass low level format is needed to be sure it catches them.

Always on mac drives. Desperation is setting in now.

Desperate times call for... Alright. Let's experiment on the new file copies you just made.

Launch Terminal. Type the following command and make sure you include a space at the end:

dot_clean

From the Finder, drag your copied Logic project folder into the Terminal window. The path should now show there. Hit return. It will appear that nothing happened, but try running that project.

[fingers crossed]

Ok here is what I found out. It has something to do with saving. When I mess around with different things like taking audio in and out, disconnecting and reconnecting instruments, eventually it works. But as soon as I hit save then the problem comes back. So it has something to do with SAVING THE PROJECT!!

Thanks - I gave it a try and no go. But here is where I am with this now. When go into 32bitmode then it opens. As soon as I save it starts again. Then if I goto 64bit then its ok again. So something is resetting this.

But check this out. I always save versions as I go for backup. PROJECTa - PROJECTb, etc... So as of right now, this seems to be happening when I change the project name. Not sure but at this moment thats where I'm at. But my switching back to 64bit mode and NOT renaming the project, its working (SO FAR)

switching back to 64bit - interesting

i do the same thing regarding naming and backing up as i go along. i add an underscore though. MySongExample_110907_1,2,3 not sure if that has anything to do with it. but you never know what saying one thing may trigger in one of all these Logic brains in here.

i have had Logic crash when trying to save. but i seem to remember an update fixed that for me.

Yes in my case it seems the I/O 36 error starts immediately after I save my logic project as a different name. From now on I'm just saving the file on another drive and constantly replacing/updating it instead of having several versions. So, not sure why it's doing it, but I'm fairly sure it has something to do with a recent update since I did this all the time before updating and never got the error.

And as I posted above, I don't think it's drive related since I tried out several new drives and get this error on a week old system, as well as my one back home.

Thanks everyone for the help - it's good to know were all out here in the trenches together when the s*** hits the fan. Now it looks like I'm making my deadline.

recipe for keeping 9.1.3 alongside 9.1.5:

1. Select your Logic app, right- or ctrl-click and choose Duplicate.

When the duplicating is finished, rename the copy "Logic Pro 9.1.3".

2. Now update. After updating, you should have "Logic Pro 9.1.3" and "Logic Pro" in your app folder, the latter being v. 9.1.5.