EXS24 can't loop sample

zachyun

Hi, I'm trying to create my own sample instrument on the EXS24.

So I've gone into the Instrument Editor, created a zone, and added my sample.

However, there is no loop checkbox and no start/end parameters to assign.

Defining the loop in the sample editor also does not work.

Therefore my sample plays in it's entirety all the time, without looping.

Please help... cheers

Hi Fader 8.

I am having a similar problem but I can't follow your remedy.

When I set the loop points in the sample editor do I 'save as' a new file?

Why is this only happening with this sample? I have other samples and I do not have to do this. I can simply adjust the loop points in the sample editor and they update instantly in the the exs editor.

Thanks.

I remember having that problem too. The workaround was to close the Arrange window, and then double-click the sample name in the EXS24 instrument editor to open it in a sample editor window, and then it worked. But in the sample edit area at the bottom of the Arrange window I couldn't make it work.

I just gave it a quick try now and it worked fine. :?

• 9 months later...

Hi all.

Hoping someone can help.

I've loaded a sample into the exs. I opened it in the sample editor and set a loop point. I chose Selection > Sample Loop from the local edit menu but the values are not reflected in the loop parameters in the exs instrument editor.

Am I missing a step or something?

Thanks in advance.

Am I missing a step or something?

Sounds exactly like the problem I used to have, and that I was able to solve by opening the sample in an individual sample editor rather than the Arrange window's sample editor area. Try closing the Arrange window before opening the sample in the sample editor?

If that does not help, what happens if you enter some random sample numbers manually in the Loop start/end columns of the EXS24 instrument editor, THEN open the sample in the sample editor and try again?

Or what happens if, at the bottom of the sample editor in the "S. Loop" lane, you adjust the positions of the left/right edge of the green sample loop bar?

Thanks for the reply David. I had forgotten I had posted about this before.

Unfortunately none the suggestions worked but they were worth a try.

I can adjust the loop start and end points in the esx editor but I MUST adjust the end point first. If I adjust the start point forst it just bounces back to zero. I love Logic sometimes :)

I suppose that's because your end point is set to zero by default? The start point cannot be after the end point.

You could probably work around this by changing the technique you use to create your EXS24 instruments. I haven't figure out why or how exactly yet, but some techniques result in the loop start/end being both set to zero, while other techniques result in them being set to the start/end sample of the audio file (which apparently works better and I assume would resolve your issue).

Good point :)

Yeah, I'll have a think about this and see what works best. Thankfully I'm not creating a massive sampler instrument or I'd have to resort to a 3rd party plug-in. It's a pity about this issue. Hopefully it will get resolved at some point.

Just a quick update.

I tried this with other samples and the Selection > Sample Loop from the local edit menu in the Sample Editor results in the expected changes in the EXS Editor.

I tried again with the original sample I was having trouble with and I still need to input the loop values manually. I'm not sure why, but setting the loop points for that sample in the Sample Editor just won't update in the EXS Editor. Ah well, I'll just have to input them manually for that sample for the time being.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys.

I am having the exact same problem. I have Logic 8 on a laptop and when i adjust the regions in my sampler window within the EXS the sample end and start points adjust accordingly within the EXS24 instrument editor (in the samples column). However on my iMac which has Logic 9 installed, when i perform the exact same region movement the sample start and end points do not get effected in that same column in the EXS24 instrument editor.

Im assuming that there is just a setting that I have different between the two logic setups but for the life of me cant find any variance in settings anywhere.

Im assuming that there is just a setting that I have different between the two logic setups but for the life of me cant find any variance in settings anywhere.

It's definitely not a setting, I have had the problem and then no-problem on the same set up with the same settings etc. So I know it's not that, but unfortunately I don't know what it is. :?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've found the way to fix this ---it's to do with spotlight and re indexing 'sample loops' -apparently it gets corrupted then can't find your samples --

as odd as it sounds... reindex your Apple Loops in Garageband....for some reason this fixes prob in logic

The instructions to do this can be found here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2443

and then check Logic again.....exs24 files will now loop

• 1 year later...

+1 on David's suggestion here, this worked for me to set the loop points in an audio file:

"I was able to solve by opening the sample in an individual sample editor rather than the Arrange window's sample editor area. Try closing the Arrange window before opening the sample in the sample editor"

HTH

RR

• 9 months later...

I realize this is a somewhat old discussion, but I was having the same problem. In my case, changing the name of the samples that I was importing solved the issue.

I'm not exactly sure what characters (or whether the length of the original name) created the problem. But I had originally used spaces and characters such as #, -, and . in the file name (before the last ".wav"). The revised name did away with the spaces and those other characters, and everything worked. I was able to double click on the sample within EXS, adjust the loop graphically in the editor, and have the changes register within the edit window of EXS.

Hope that helps someone!

• 1 year later...
Just an update here for anyone still with this issue, schmangle's suggestion worked for me. Renaming a long sample name with underscores to something simple allowed me to work on my samples as usual. Given it's intermittent I thought it must have had something to do with the individual files themselves. This was the only solution that worked for me. Thanks guys.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...